Sunday, January 30, 2011

Reading with Turner

I think everyone knows how important it is to read to a child at an early age and often. Tori informed me it also helps establish a bedtime routine. I personally just think it is fun to read to Turner. The routine is a bonus. We’ve received some great books as gifts for Turner. I thought I’d share some of Turner’s [my] favorites here. These are mostly simple stories, nothing too crazy for him at this age. When he’s older, we’ll start working our way through some classics (Shakespeare, Where the Wild Things Are, and The Odyssey). 

One that leads the pack for me is by Ezra Jack Keats, The Snowy Day. I don’t want to spoil it for you but it’s about a little boy in a city who has a fun filled day playing in the snow. It’s cool for several reasons – mostly because Turner and I can relate to it. I also started reading, “Guess how much I love you” and “The Going to Bed Book”.

We have several others but these three are leading the way for bedtime. Two more fun books for daytime reading are by Eric Carle. The first is titles, “The Very Quiet Cricket” and the second book is titled, “The Very Lonely Firefly”. In the Firefly book, The firefly buzzes off in search of companionship, but keeps following other lights by mistake [spoiler alert] ultimately ending up at a fireworks display. Don’t worry thought, at the very end, he finds friends.

All of these books are available on Amazon.com. If you’re looking for a gift for a child, you can’t go wrong with a book. Of course you won’t earn any cool points in the beginning but when that child grows up and becomes the Global Knowledge Manager for Deloitte Analytics* or a Principal Consultant for SAP eSourcing* – they will thank you! J


*Note: For those that didn’t know, Turner’s parents are nerds.

1 comment:

  1. I love your reviews. You should become a children's book critic. Turner can rate them according to diaper blow-outs...two poops up!

    ReplyDelete