Sunday, December 18, 2011

Decorating the house for Turner’s first Christmas

I love Christmas.  I always have and I always will.  It’s hard to describe why but I just have so many great memories of this holiday - lots of love and laugh over the years. One of my earliest memories is crawling under my grandmother’s bed and finding un-wrapped gifts for my sister and I.  I would crawl under the bed daily leading up to Christmas and play with two G.I. Joe action figures and the tank they came with. 

This is the first year that I get to share my favorite holiday with my son. I'm going all out.  If I could rent a Santa to have him come drop off gifts, I would.  I haven' rulled that idea out for future years.  Anyway, back to the story.  As you know, we traveled to Nashville, TN for Thanksgiving.   Normally, I would start putting up Christmas decorations immediately after Thanksgiving but after a long drive and traveling I didn’t have the energy.  I also had to travel for work after Thanksgiving.   
As soon as I found some free time, I put our tree up. Turner helped. He resisted the urge to play with the decorations.  It took a while to get the tree up but it was fun.  I then hung our wreath on the door and put two 3ft pine trees on each side of our front door.   We have candles in most of our windows and I’ve hung lights around the front porch.  It’s subtle compared to some houses in the area but it works for us.

Wait, how could I forget the stockings!  Tori and I started hanging stockings two or three years ago and this year, we purchased one for Turner.  He already has two small toys in it.  I noticed that mine is flat.  I’m not upset though. Cash and checks don’t take up much space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment