Sunday, August 29, 2010

Home Renovations

Earlier this summer, a pretty bad storm with hail and hurricane winds came through our area and damaged our roof. We also lost power for about 2 to 3 days. With the roof damaged, rain got into our home and damaged a good bit of our drywall. All repairs were covered by insurance but we decided to take this as an opportunity to have some additional work done to prepare for guests that will be coming to visit Lil Moore. Our guestroom will move upstairs with my office and our recreation room and our current guestroom will become Turner’s room.

We contracted with a company to remove all of the walls from the upstairs of our home. Once the walls were down we had them update the electrical, phone and cable wiring. We also took this as an opportunity to get some energy efficient insulation

The majority of the renovations will be done this week. We’ve selected new light fixtures and will add a few decorations to really make the room look new / updated. The last steps of the renovation will be to replace some windows (also energy efficient) and for me to rebuild the handrail over the stairs so that it’s up to code.

I know what you’re thinking. I’m thinking the same thing. This kid is already costing me a fortune.  On the bright side, I am looking forward to him getting older and rolling up his sleeves to help his dad with projects around the house. Better yet, he’ll be able to teach his son a thing or too about home repair while I sit in my chair and tell them both how they're doing it wrong - like a good grandpa.

1 comment:

  1. The renovations sound great! I know you'll be so grateful you did them before Turner gets here. Love the idea of you sitting in your chair telling them how it should all be done. :)

    ReplyDelete