Sunday, September 12, 2010

Baby Research pt 2: The Crib

There are way too many cribs in the world. I guess that’s fine for a free market economy but it is terrible when it comes to making a decision. It has been a balancing act between safety, style, longevity and PRICE. This process is almost as challenging as shopping for a new car. The prices range from $200.00 to over a $1,000.00. It really is a lot to take in. Just to add some context, the queen size bed that Tori and I sleep in, is not as expensive as some of these cribs.

So, let me share what we’ve seen and like so far. Now before you say it, yes; they look very similar. The only things we know for sure is that we want a crib that converts into a full size bed, has an espresso / mahogany finish and a solid headboard. With those as our only requirements, you can see our difficulty. I really like the Cocoon 7000 Series Crib (pictured to the left). We saw it at Baby SuperMart. It’s heavy and looks like it can take a beating. I think it’s manly and handsome – just like my son will be.

Tori recently decided that she really likes the Munire Deco crib (pictured to the right). We’re going to visit Closic’s in Wilmington, DE to see it in person. Just as with every crib test I’ve done, I’m going to shake the crib and see how easy it will be for my bionic son to lift it / break it.

1 comment:

  1. According to Suron, the crib I like has some blind spots that will frustrate Turner. It's a good point. One thing I didn't know about was an 'Arm test'. What is the arm test? Your arms will be too big, but have Tori try to reach her arm in through the slats. Apparently, Suron is often sitting on the floor in the dark, outside her son's crib, with her arm through the slats to pat his back or something in an attempt to keep him lying down. (This is important as your boy gets older and you lower the matress in the crib and either are too short to hunch over the lowered crib, or because if your standing, your boy is standing).

    ReplyDelete