Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Dad Workout: Pt .1

There is this ugly rumor about father’s-to-be gaining weight along with their pregnant wives.  Sadly, the rumor is true.  It’s not from an increased unhealthy diet.  I've been going to LA Fitness for about two years now. At my highest point, I was going everyday afterwork.  Now, not so much.  I haven’t gained weight but I have seriously slowed down on my trips to the gym after work and on the weekends.  This is partly due to coming home and having to do research on baby products with Tori.  Our weekends are spent running baby related errands as well.  Junior isn’t here yet and I have barely anytime to workout.

With limited time to make it to the gym, I started thinking about a workout schedule for fathers and fathers-to-be.   I know I won’t have as much free time once my son arrives.  That is a fact. I’m hoping I can make it to the gym at least three days a week though.  It’s based on 45 to 60 minutes of time at the gym.  The goal is to maintain weight and tone the muscle I currently have.  I start out with cardio and either do a 2 mile run or 20 minutes on the cross-training program on the elliptical machine.  I then move onto the bench press.  Gone are the days of my 300lbs lifts but it’s still good to do some upper body work.  I follow the bench with either a military press or lat pull down.  Next, I go back to cardio and bike for 10 minutes and another round of lifting and lower back extensions.  The lower back extensions will come in handy when I’m reaching down to play or pick-up Jr. The workout ends with some work on my abs.  I’ll let you know how it turns out but I’m optimistic about it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment